Sunday, December 6, 2020

December 6, 2020 talk on Thomas Merton

Thomas Merton Abandonment Prayer

Link to recording of this talk: 

https://www.facebook.com/110012554072429/videos/433933041105681


“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and that I think I am following your will does not mean I am actually doing so.

But I believe the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all I am doing. I hope I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”

 I did not know this prayer is from Thomas Merton. I thank my Facebook friend Brendan Mooney for this information. I remember years ago I heard Adyashanti describe the spiritual journey as starting out on a long journey without clear directions, having no idea of how long it will take or what it will be like when we arrive. Yet we are compelled to begin. I became a Zen Buddhist in 1981 through the ceremony of Jukai, or taking the precepts, with Roshi Philip Kapleau of the Rochester Zen Center. We were all given a framed copy of a poem derived from the following quotation:

“Until one is committed there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative or creation, there is one elementary truth...that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves, too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would otherwise never have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man would have believed would have come his way.

Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it.”

W.H. Murray The Scottish Himalayan Expedition.

This poem was inspirational to me in the early days when there was so much confusion and darkness. Sometimes all we must do is begin, and then begin again, and again, and again. We are supported by forces seen and unseen far more than we realize.

 

Here are some videos on Thomas Merton

Thomas Merton - A Teaching on Realisation/Awakening - Christian Mystics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHmCwiMvhsw

This YouTube video is a series of quotations from Thomas Merton read by Buddhist nun Samaneri Jayasara. She has a YouTube channel of her reading the writings deeply realized beings, which you can access here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz6X8QK9_JG49hJxnzAu-1w.

All of the videos of Samameri I have heard are wonderful. From her introduction to the video: “This is a brilliant and profound teaching from Thomas Merton on Awakening. It is an extract from his book "Seeds of Contemplation" (chapter on Pure Love). Thomas Merton (January 31, 1915 – December 10, 1968) was an American Trappist monk, writer, theologian, mystic, poet, social activist, and scholar of comparative religion. On May 26, 1949, he was ordained to the priesthood and given the name "Father Louis". Merton wrote more than 50 books in a period of 27 years, mostly on spirituality, social justice and a quiet pacifism, as well as scores of essays and reviews.”

Here is a link to a series of videos on Thomas Merton and other Christian mystics, including Saint Teresa of Avila, Saint John of the Cross, and Meister Eckhart, among others.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWzYrEdlV4O4JO70WfrF7hc_WPVAqDcdj.

Here are links to several Merton audio recordings:

“You can’t make God come to you, but he will come if your heart is awakened.”

16:57 “This is what you do when you want to know God: You don’t go looking for an object called God. You cultivate the awareness of love in a awake heart.”

 

2013 Merton in His Own Voice – Audio recordings of Thomas Merton teaching the novices at Gethsemani; a talk he delivered in the 1960s. Images provided by The Thomas Merton Center at Bellarmine University and Merton Legacy Trust.

Contemplation: Merton in his Own Words

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr3V-BnENmA

 

“Merton was perhaps most interested in—and, of all of the Eastern traditions, wrote the most about—Zen. Having studied the Desert Fathers and other Christian mystics as part of his monastic vocation, Merton had a deep understanding of what it was those men sought and experienced in their seeking. He found many parallels between the language of these Christian mystics and the language of Zen philosophy.

 In 1959, Merton began a dialogue with D. T. Suzuki which was published in Merton's Zen and the Birds of Appetite as "Wisdom in Emptiness". This dialogue began with the completion of Merton's The Wisdom of the Desert. Merton sent a copy to Suzuki with the hope that he would comment on Merton's view that the Desert Fathers and the early Zen masters had similar experiences. Nearly ten years later, when Zen and the Birds of Appetite was published, Merton wrote in his postface that "any attempt to handle Zen in theological language is bound to miss the point", calling his final statements "an example of how not to approach Zen."[47] Merton struggled to reconcile the Western and Christian impulse to catalog and put into words every experience with the ideas of Christian apophatic theology and the unspeakable nature of the Zen experience.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Merton

 

No comments: